Interiors: What a Corker!

Interiors: What a Corker!

Cork is big news in interiors for 2017. Sadly, not the wine variety, though if you’re offering, I’ll have a glass. Initially popular in the 1970’s, this natural and sustainable material is making a comeback. Interior designers have reignited their love for this versatile material, using it everywhere from flooring, to wall coverings and home accessories.

Aside from being a sustainable product, it is also very practical and cost effective. You can purchase flooring tiles from as little as £11.99 per square metre, which is peanuts, but they look great. I am hugely tempted to have a go with these in our own home. Our kitchen floor tiles are nothing short of hideous and at these prices, we could cover them up for less than £100! I feel a project coming on!

Here are a few examples of how you can incorporate one of this years key looks in your home.

Cork Flooring

2017 Interiors Trends - Cork flooring

Credit

I’ll begin with how I would like to see cork used in our home and that is flooring. Cork offers a surprisingly durable and aesthetically pleasing finish. I was pleasantly surprise by this because when I first heard about cork flooring, I thought of a corkboard style finish. This level of softness would hardly be ideal, but cork floor tiles have a far harder finish then the type you find in a wine bottle. The tiles are made from pieces of bark leftover from from punched bottle corks, which are then pressed and baked to make hard sheets.

One thing to keep in mind if you do decide to go down the cork flooring route, is that they should ideally be resealed every few years and they may not be suitable for use in damp conditions.

Cork Wall Coverings

Credit

This may not be a look for everyone, but it certainly makes for a big impact. Cork tiles come in a vast array of styles and sizes, which means its relatively simple to create a style that could work for you. It also offers hypoallergenic benefits because it naturally repels mold and mildew. In addition to this, they also help to improve insulation and can act as a sound barrier.

Cork Furniture

Interiors Trends 2017 - Cork Furniture

Credit

Interiors Trends 2017 - Cork Furniture

Credit

Cork furniture is a great way to introduce natural material and texture into your decor scheme. It can also inject a modern feel into your home, particularly where it’s flexible qualities lend itself well to creating sculptural designs.

Cork Home Accessories

Credit

The high street is awash with cork accessories for the home and I and trying very hard to stop myself from piling them all into my online basket! We are trying to be more sensible with our cash this year, which I have to say is ruining my online browsing fun!!

14 Comments

1. Sue @ Home Heart Harmony
    March 9, 2017 / 3:15 pm

Yes, I love the warmth of the cork trend! My Parents’ house had cork floors in the kitchen when we first moved in there over 30 years ago! It was so cutting edge at the time!! So funny how it’s all coming back around isn’t it? #HomeEtc

• March 13, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Oh I know, it’s the same with women’s fashion. Everything seems to come full circle xx

• March 13, 2017 / 2:15 pm

Me too! I looked into quotes after writing this post and it turns out the fitting would be quite expensive! Such a shame, but not worth spending that much money on an in-between fix. Back to the drawing board …

2. March 12, 2017 / 3:14 pm

Oh my god! This takes me back to my big sisters trendy home in the 70s/80s and her cork tiles. It was a real example of the time and I can’t wait to tell her they are back. I’m loving all the ideas you’ve shown. #HomeEtc

• March 13, 2017 / 2:14 pm

It’s funny how things come back round. Flares are back in again too! We literally have gone back in time xx

3. March 13, 2017 / 8:52 am

I love cork accessories but draw the line at cork flooring. I’m just not cool enough & it reminds me of old village halls! 😉 #HomeEtc

• March 13, 2017 / 2:13 pm

I think it needs to done well to work 🙂 I know I have said it already on your blog, but your bathroom really does look great xx

4. March 13, 2017 / 10:46 pm

There’s a shop in Greenwich Market which specialises in all things cork, including shoes and handbags. It’s really quite peculiar but lovely too. although I’m not ready for cork tiles on walls for a while yet I don’t think 🙂 #homeetc

5. March 14, 2017 / 9:14 am

YES! Love this material and how stylish! Definitely love this trend. Thanks for sharing and linking up. Jess xx

#HomeEtc

6. tinkertailoronline
    March 15, 2017 / 4:02 pm

This post is a corker! sorry I couldn’t help myself ;0) I think it looks fantastic as a flooring solution you shouldn’t even hesitate about covering your kitchen floor in it at those prices. That Ikea table and bench is so cool!!!

• March 20, 2017 / 11:38 am

haha – love a good pun! I know, how reasonable are the tiles? Sadly though, the labour is not. I asked for a quote and it was ridiculous! xx

7. March 15, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I’m pretty sure my Mum and Dad had lots of cork accessories when I was little. Cork place mats and bowls. I’m not sure about it. Think it might be a grower. #homeEtc

• March 20, 2017 / 11:35 am

I don’t think it’s for everyone. I quite like it, but I think you’d have to be careful about how you used it xx