Help! I’m Addicted to Buying Furniture From eBay.

Help! I’m Addicted to Buying Furniture From eBay.

I have mentioned my love of eBay a few times on this blog, but it has been a while since I updated you with some of my most recent purchases. Having recently acquired a few new things (not a rare occurrence), I thought now would be a good time to show you some of the things I have found.

My intention was to include different items from around the house, but as I sat typing away in our dining room, I soon realised the entire room had been furnished exclusively with eBay finds. The truth be told, we would be here all day if I were to photograph every item I’ve ever sourced through eBay.

I’m guessing you have better things to do. So for today, I thought I’d just show you the things I bought for our dining room.

I’ll begin with the caveat that I realise our dining room may not be to everyone’s’ taste. We chose to paint a feature wall in a very dark grey paint (Dulux Gallant Grey, in case you’re interested) and the furniture is all second hand. Which, if you haven’t already guessed, is just the way I like it.

Rustic Dining Table

Rustic wooden table top with an old book, watch and petals

Cost: £170 + £30 in courier fees.

My favourite new addition is most definitely our dining room table. The table top is very rustic, which I have to confess, at first, I was a little unsure of. Turns out it photographs rather nicely, which quickly put my reservations at ease. I’m nothing, if not a sucker for a potential Instagram prop.

I’m currently on the hunt for a new dining table for our breakfast room because I’m now all about the interesting table top.

Dining Chairs

Grey dining room decor ideas using second hand and vintage furniture

Cost: approx £50 in total

The dining chairs are a combination of some left in the house when we moved in and others bought from eBay. They were quite tatty and unappealing in their original condition, so I painted them using the same colours I used on the walls (Jasmine White & Gallant Grey). I also reupholstered one of the seat pads using natural hessian fabric.

Leather Chesterfield Sofa

Leather Chesterfield sofa

Cost: From memory, I think this was less than £100.

There was definitely an element of compromise with this sofa. I really wanted an elegant Chesterfield with little wooden legs, but these cost an arm and a leg, even on eBay. I wouldn’t say this sofa is my favourite piece of furniture, but it was a steal and I think it works quite well in the room.

This is the place I go to hide for 5 minutes peace, because it’s situated behind the door, it’s really easy to remain hidden for at least a few minutes. So long as you don’t make a sound or, you know, breathe.

The little plant stand is from eBay too. This cost a fiver, plus a lick of paint.

If a more elegant version of this sofa crops up in my local area, then I will be the first to snap it up!

Occasional Table

Second hand vintage occasional table wth plants

Cost: £20

This little table has had many different guises. I originally bought it to use as a place to work from, but the detailing around the front of the desk makes it uncomfortable to sit at.

it now sits under a window in the dining room and use it to display the curly cactus (that I kind of don’t know what to do with), pictured above.

The Random Old Chair

Tatty Vintage Wooden Chair

Cost: £10

I am not entirely sure why I bought this chair. I certainly didn’t need it and the rush is really rather worn. In honesty, I think I felt a little sorry for it. Also, that detailing on the back. I love it.

Wooden Cabinet

grey hygge dining room decor inspiration

Cost: £30

The cupboard in the left hand corner was a bit of a steal. It was so cheap that I thought it would almost certainly need painting, but it’s in excellent condition. The wood is beautiful and has a lovely grain running through it.

I have tried to google woods to see what wood it might be. At a guess, I would say mahogany or walnut, but let’s be honest, I haven’t the first idea. It’s the perfect place to store lots of random junk, that should probably be in the bin.

The Accessories

Rustic wooden table top and candlesticks

Total cost: approx £40

It seems I decided to take the ‘source everything from eBay’ guide very seriously, as I inadvertently bought a lot of the accessory type items from there too. Including the candle stick holders and mirror.

Oh and I almost forgot … even the fireplace is from eBay. Is there anything that can’t be bought on eBay? I’m not convinced there is.

21 Comments

1. April 24, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Oh I love your dining room, especially the old chair and the occasional table! I need to get on eBay and have a little look what I can find! xx

2. April 24, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Oh Kerry! I love all of these pieces and they work so well together in the room. You’ve inspired me to get hunting on ebay for furniture for the new house! xx

3. April 24, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Ahhh your style is FAB! I love the way nothing matches but it all works incredibly well together. I adore it. You’re so clever. Plus with modern touches such as the prints, the grey and golds. My Hubby is also addicted to eBay!! Gorgeous home xx

4. April 24, 2017 / 9:42 pm

Oh wow, I love the little occasional table and the cabinet…what bargains! I always forget to look on ebay and we need a new little coffee table so I’m going to have a hunt around. I do like your grey wall too, would never work in my house but looks perfect in yours xx

5. April 25, 2017 / 7:28 am

I LOVE this space, you have an eye thats for sure. This is definitely my kind of room, love the table and mix match chairs. Perfect wall colour too as your room looks quite bright. Our bedroom furniture was all from Ebay and such a steal too. x

6. April 25, 2017 / 7:09 pm

This is SUCH a gorgeous post Kerry — I LOVE all your Ebay buys. I’m the same, I blooming love a bargain and I also love an eclectic mix. Having a home full of new furniture — or the all white gloss trend — just doesn’t do it for me. Your home style is gorgeous xx #HomeEtc

7. Sarah Petals
    April 26, 2017 / 5:05 pm

What a lovely post. I love ebay bargains, but I have not yet bought any furniture. However I this has inspired me to start buying from ebay. #HomeEtc

8. April 26, 2017 / 8:43 pm

I love all of these, I spent years looking for our second hand table and I love it, new just looked so perfect and that wasn’t what I wanted, these is s lot to be said for second hand furniture, my desk is also from Ebay and I love it. Vintage furniture is so much more stylish x

9. April 26, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Oh wow you have such a good eye! It all looks great and goes so well together xx #HomeEtc

10. April 26, 2017 / 10:59 pm

I love your style! I think all the pieces work perfectly together and even the Chesterfield, it’s not bad at all – I like it!! Seems like you had a perfect type in your head and anything less just isn’t going to reach the mark.
    My favourite piece is the random old chair – I’d have that in any of my rooms!!

11. April 27, 2017 / 10:15 am

I love this room. I suspect if I had a go at mixing up styles I’d create a terrible look, but you’ve nailed it! I’ve bought a secondhand wardrobe and bed on ebay, both were absolute bargains and that felt SO good, you’ve inspired me to take a look more often. I did smile at the instagram-worthy tabletop, I seem to have one eye on the instagram potential of all new purchases these days! #HomeEtc

12. April 27, 2017 / 2:06 pm

Really love all your eBay finds! Your house is lovely! #HomeEtc

13. April 27, 2017 / 2:19 pm

I can’t believe that sofa was £100! It’s gorgeous, what a find. I also love your dining room, definitely to my taste but I do like my grey, haha! Ebay has some brilliant pieces if you look hard enough #homeetc

14. April 27, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I really love that chair in the first photo. I find that second hand furniture ticks all the boxes for me, the quality is better and it’s usually cheaper too!

#HomeEct

15. April 27, 2017 / 9:22 pm

You know how much I Looooooove bargains, Kerry! You’ve got some amazing finds! Thar cabinet is absolutely gorgeous with the wood grain. Personally, I love the dark grey feature wall. It works really well. I feel like going on eBay now but I fear it might be dangerous!!! Well done on not only getting some fab pieces but putting them together to create such a fab space! You made me chuckle…Feeling sorry for a chair!!! I know what you mean, though! #HOMEETC

16. April 27, 2017 / 10:54 pm

Your home is so amazing. I love all the mixtures of furniture styles and collection and yet it all seems to coordinate and go well together. what a beautiful room. You are amazing at bargains. I wish I had the flair for finding the good stuff. These are fab finds indeed. #wrc

17. booandmaddie
    April 29, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Oh Kerry this is AMAZING!! I never seem to find good things on Ebay but I’m pretty sure practice makes perfect as you’ve very well demonstrated. Beautiful finds and great to give other people’s cast offs some new love Xx #HomeEtc

18. May 1, 2017 / 8:19 pm

I think it all looks fantastic!! I’m not very good at second hand or eBay shopping. However, I can see that it would become addictive. I’m working on a project whereby I have to refresh a room with bargain buys and I found the most amazing second hand shop in our local town and almost went crazy in there at the weekend. So many amazing things and complete bargains, too.

19. May 2, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Oh wow what lovely pieces! You definitely have an eye for which bits to pick up. I love a second hand piece furniture – we have some random stuff my husband would quite like to get rid of! It’s all from hand-me-downs or giveaways though. I quite often spent time looking in antique shops round here but the prices are £££ compared to eBay I guess. I love your dining room, I like the eclectic look – it looks like a great place to have a party! #HomeEtc

20. May 2, 2017 / 2:36 pm

This is a gorgeous room Kerry. It all works so well together. I love the old chair! It’s so lovely.
    Also the table top is just gorgeous 💗

21. May 9, 2017 / 7:29 pm

I love everything! Especially the random chair in it’s perfect work state. I’m loving old pieces at the minute xx