Enjoying the Luxuries of a Hotel Room at Home

Enjoying the Luxuries of a Hotel Room at Home

Can I let you in on a little secret?

My teenage self would have never thought I’d say this, but I really am happiest when I’m at home. Specifically, when at home, tucked up in my own bed, with freshly washed linen and a hot mug of tea.

I think this is one of the reasons why I love our bedroom so much. At the end of last year, Chris and I finally moved up into the attic room. I say finally because it took us nearly two years to finish the renovation (let’s just ignore the fact that there’s still work left to do). This may sound a bit daft, but it’s a part of our home that gives me so much joy.

I love it even more now that it’s spring. Through the windows, I can hear birds singing as they dance between the trees, and as the sun sets behind the hills in the distance, the light casts an orangey glow over neighbouring chimney stacks and roof tops. All the while, transforming an ordinary view into something rather beautiful. It makes me happy every time I see it.

Our bedroom is on the top floor of the house, away from the detritus of family life, which makes it an oasis of calm in an otherwise hectic household. It is the only room in the house that’s free from toys and I love how it somehow feels separate from the rest of our home.

In short, it is the only grown up space in the house.

Recently, The White Company got in touch with me to see whether I would like to recreate the feeling of a luxury summer hotel break in my own home, so naturally I jumped at the chance. Why wouldn’t I want to make my favourite room in the house feel even more special?

I still remember my first ever purchase from The White Company. Nearly 9 years ago, while I was pregnant with our first baby, Chris and I bought little pink and white cot bed linen set from the Birmingham Selfridges store. We chose it for it’s pretty pattern, super soft fabric and because we wanted to buy something special and of good quality. Little did we know that it would last so well, that our youngest, Elodie, would be using it on her own cot bed today. It honestly still looks as good as new.

I think we have established how much I love my bedroom now, but as a parent, I do think it’s a good thing to have somewhere in the house where you can escape to and relax. This is why I thought I would share with you my top tips for creating a relaxing bedroom space, that feels as luxurious as a hotel or spa.

Invest in Quality Bed Linen

Quality bed linen is a new discovery for me. Before now, I never saw the point in spending money on things like pillows, blankets and bedding. I didn’t see how spending a little more could make much of a difference. Oh how wrong I was.

If you think about it, we spend a lot of time in bed, so why wouldn’t you want to make the experience as pleasurable as possible? There is nothing worse than scratchy bed linen that doesn’t breathe and leaves you feeling all itchy and hot, so it really is worth spending a little more.

I chose The White Company Azores Bed Linen Collection with a Flores Throw for our bedroom. It is so soft and cool to the touch and has that crisp hotel sheets feel, that I love.

Light a Scented Candle

This is one of those instances where I wish the internet was scratch and sniff.

The Ocean Tide candle smells like holidays in a jar and for people who love luxury scented candles, I have to say that I think this one is a snip at £20. There are lots of similar ones out there, for which you could expect to pay twice as much.

Treat Yourself to Spa Luxuries

For me, there is nothing more indulgent than a luxury bath oil or bubble bath and I’ve had a love of bath products for as long as I can remember. They are the kind of luxury that I will more than happily invest in and usually save using them for a time when I know I can enjoy a few minutes peace.

These products from The White Company are exactly the kind of products that I would save for these golden moments. They are heavenly scented and have that hotel spa smell and feel.

Dress the Part

If you want to float around your bedroom, feeling all flouncy and summery, then these are the pyjamas for you. They are delicately embroidered and of course, in true The White Company style, are 100% cotton. This certainly is a step up from my usual grey flanneled dressing gown and much more summer appropriate.

Make Time to Relax

Once you have set the scene with bedding and candles, it’s time to take it easy with a long hot soak in the bath, followed by lounging around in bed with a good book.

Who said you have to leave home to enjoy all the luxuries of a hotel? Not me.

One thing I can’t promise, is that you will get to enjoy the luxuries of your bedroom undisturbed …

*Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post, but as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

27 Comments

1. May 8, 2017 / 4:05 pm

I love nothing better than nice new fresh bedding. I would have chosen the same set I think

2. Sam | North East Family Fun Blog
    May 8, 2017 / 7:14 pm

Oh your bedroom looks gorgeous now and really does have that hotel feel. You can’t beat crisp white linen can you x

3. May 10, 2017 / 9:43 am

Oh beautiful! I’ve just linked up my guest bedroom makeover plans so your tips are really useful for me 🙂 #homeetc

4. May 10, 2017 / 9:55 am

I am trying to find a new duvet cover at the moment – will go and check the white company out – hadn’t thought of them #homeetc

5. May 10, 2017 / 9:56 am

Ooh, very nice! Love the nightie and dressing gown. I would love an attic bedroom! x #HomeEtc

6. May 10, 2017 / 10:18 am

Oh how lovely, I totally agree about being happiest at home. I’d never go out if I didn’t have to, he he. Your bedroom looks gorgeous and is making me want to come and stay, that bed linen is dreamy x #HomeEtc

7. May 10, 2017 / 1:05 pm

Can’t beat a crisp white duvet cover and I just love The White Company’s bedlinen – gorgeous! Also sounds like bliss to have a bedroom that’s tucked away from family life! 🙂 Philippa x #Homeetc

• May 15, 2017 / 5:50 pm

It really is!! It feels like our own grown up space, until the kids run in of course, but then I do love them too! xx

8. May 10, 2017 / 1:13 pm

This makes me want to go to bed! We decorated our bedroom last year and I still love it – although it makes me itchy to do the parts of the house that are still yet to be done (namely: most of it!). Adore the photos in this post – you are so talented and the styling is spot on! x

• May 15, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Ah thank you! That’s really lovely of you to say. Oh I can relate to the itching to do the rest of the house thing. We’re getting there, but the big things like the kitchen and bathroom still need doing xx

9. May 10, 2017 / 2:05 pm

The bed linen you chose is divine. I would love something similar, the only thing left to complete our bedroom is a new duvet. Crisp white linen really is living the dream, sadly for me my 2 great big dogs put me off buying something so beautiful! #homeetc

• May 15, 2017 / 5:48 pm

You are a very generous pet owner! I would not let Scruffy within ten feet of my bed 😂, the kids are bad enough 😂. A feather duvet is on my wish list at the moment. They are the best! x

10. May 10, 2017 / 6:36 pm

How do I book?!! I don’t need to scratch and sniff because the words and pictures have done the work for me. Absolutely, beautiful, peaceful, tranquil space. Love the final pic! #HOMEETC

• May 15, 2017 / 5:47 pm

Ah thank you! They really are lovely things and I do love my room. It’s 5.47pm and I’m on countdown to bed time! x

11. May 10, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Ahh i totally feel ya! I’m such a little homebody. Such a good idea having an adult zone! I’m trying to tell my toddler that at the moment but she isn’t getting it haha

#HomeEtc

12. Colette B
    May 10, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Our bedroom needs a bit of love – we redecorated a while back but just didn’t quite get it finished. I do love the White Company – such a luxurious brand

• May 15, 2017 / 5:44 pm

They are brilliant! So understated too, I think that’s why they have such universal appeal x

13. May 11, 2017 / 7:47 am

Fresh crisp bedding is the best feeling. I love staying in hotels as they’re usually clutter free and minimal. I would love to have a minimal bedroom but we own too much stuff *hides face*

We love the White Company, could spend a fortune filling my online basket

• May 15, 2017 / 5:43 pm

I will be honest and say that I did move some of my clutter for the photos. I usually have some cosmetics on my bedside, but they’re hardly photogenic. I’m totally with you, I could spend a fortune there too xx

14. May 11, 2017 / 10:54 am

I love The White Company brand and it suits your bedroom so well. Lovely post and lots of ideas for when we re-do our own bedroom in future xx #HomeEtc

• May 15, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I honestly can’t recommend them enough. They are pricier, but the items we’ve had have lasted so well. Caro has said the same in these comments. They make really good quality products and they styles are so classic and understated that they never date xx

• May 15, 2017 / 5:39 pm

Oh thank you! That’s really flattering. I use VSCO, brighten them up a little, sharpen (a little), bring down the temp, and throw on a filter xx

15. booandmaddie
    May 14, 2017 / 9:02 am

Absolutely divine! I love the White Company and can totally empathise with having that tranquil bedroom sanctuary. I’ve gone from hating our bedroom to loving it now and it’s a struggle to leave 🙂 X #HomeEtc

• May 15, 2017 / 5:38 pm

I literally count down the hours until I can go back to my room 😂 This afternoon, Chris was worrying about what he’s become because he was thinking the same. Your room is looking lovely xx

16. May 15, 2017 / 5:32 pm

Fresh bedding is literally one of the best things in life isn’t it? I’d like to say that our bedroom is a sanctuary but we’re in the middle of giving it a little facelift at the mo so it feels a bit chaotic. I love The White Company — one of my fave purchases from there is a striped cashmere jumper for my big (man-shaped) boy. It’s got to be almost 10 years old but still looks as good as the day we bought it. Fab 🙂 #HomeEtc

• May 15, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I swear their products have super human lasting powers! Elodie’s bedding still looks as good as new and Charlie used it before her. Yes! You’re totally right. Clean sheets are one of the best things in life, along with the smell of cut grass, hot buttered toast, and the cold side of the pillow xx